Sharing with you a mentorship program I’ve gotten involved with at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. FuseCR (Center for Clinical Research Workforce Development) is a collaborative designed to connect UNCW with the field of clinical research. FuseCR is providing local clinical research talent with powerful career and industry enhancing services. One such program is MentorCR which pairs undergraduate students majoring in clinical research with experienced industry professionals in a formal, structured partnership.
My mentee is Keith Reid, https://www.linkedin.com/in/keithtreidjr/ . Keith is a Junior in the Bachelor’s Degree in Clinical Research program. While going to UNCW, Keith works as an Advanced EMT at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Like many others in the clinical research industry, Keith feels drawn to this as a career having lost both his grandfather and father to heart disease at the age of 50.
Keith and I will meet monthly or more often as needed. Given my passion for connecting people, some of you can expect to hear from me requesting some of your time to talk with Keith on career path options and to share your experience and perspective.
The UNCW Clinical Research degree program is impressive in preparing students for entering into the clinical research industry. Keith has already completed the following certifications:
- Medidata Classic Rave EDC Essentials for clinical research coordinators | March 2019
- TransCelerate Essential Documents | February 2019
- TransCelerate IRB/IEC Responsibilities & Informed Consent | February 2019
- TransCelerate Facilities & Equipment | November 2018
- TransCelerate Investigator Oversight Informational Program | November 2018
- TransCelerate Delegation & Training | October 2018
- Medidata EDC Inspection Readiness for Clinical Sites | June 2018
- CITI Biomedical Research Certification | 2018
For more information on UNCW FuseCR and the MentorCR program, read on or go to the links shown.
FuseCR (Center for Clinical Research Workforce Development) is a collaborative designed to ignite a new synergy between UNCW and the field of clinical research. By fusing resources and knowledge from academia and industry, FuseCR is energizing the local clinical research talent with powerful career and industry enhancing services.
- Build Connections between Academia and Industry
- Enhance Our Existing Workforce
- Prepare Students for the Workplace
- Educate the Next Generation of Talent
The general objectives of these programs and services are as follows:
FuseCR was formed by UNCW faculty from the School of Nursing’s Clinical Research Program and the Math and Statistics Department, in partnership with the NC Biotechnology Center Southeastern Office and the NC Coast Clinical Research Initiative. This project was partially funded by a grant from the Duke Energy Foundation to strengthen the workforce for the local clinical research industry.
MentorCR for Industry Professionals: FuseCR Mentoring ProgramMentorCR pairs undergraduate students majoring in clinical research with experienced industry professionals in a formal, structured partnership. Engagement opportunities and leadership seminars are offered to further the student’s careers and the industry professional’s mentorship skills, while building professional relationships within the clinical research industry.
Mentors meet with their students 2-3 times per month and have opportunities to attend leadership seminars to further their careers while building networks within the industry. This program advances UNCW’s goal of workforce development in health-related fields for our regional community and provides crucial applied learning opportunities for our clinical research students.
Mentors have the opportunity to:
- Support UNCW students by orienting them to the industry and helping them to build networks
- Help the local economy by preparing better trained students
- Experience the personal and professional benefits of being a mentor