Am helping a FOCM member find a candidate for the position described below. Additional information: basically need a current/recent oncology nurse or NP that is also good at knowing when data regarding patient volumes from EMR queries are likely inaccurate. It’s a key role that is critical to our meeting our deliverables… I think the perfect person has that oncology nursing background, but maybe left 2-3 years ago to join one of the CROs as a CRA or PM.
Job Title: Manager, Nursing Informatics – Oncology
Reports to Vice President, Clinical Operations
Location: Raleigh, NC
Utilize knowledge of oncology patient care to support proposal development and clinical trials via thorough curation, analysis, and interpretation of EMR data housed in data warehouse.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop clinical trial enrollment projections for bids
2. Assess impact of amendments to ongoing clinical trials, including revised projections
3. Collaborate with IT to build accurate data queries for awarded clinical trial projects and to modify queries as necessary on an ongoing basis
4. Review medical records of patients identified by data queries as likely matches to a clinical research, and determine eligibility.
5. Maintain and manage “watch list” of those patients that are not currently eligible but may be in the future based on disease progression, resolved comorbidities, etc., to ensure timely enrollment when appropriate.
6. Communicate specific patients’ eligibility and logistical information (e.g., date/time of next appointment, exam results, etc.) to onsite clinical research staff
7. Track progress/actions in study applications
8. May supervise other data-oriented positions within the Clinical Operations department
9. Handle other duties as assigned.
• BA/BS degree preferred; equivalent combined education and experience will be considered
• Understanding of clinical research fundamentals
• Basic understanding of SOPs, WIs, FDA, and local regulations as well as ICH GCP guidelines, required
• Three (3) years’ experience delivering oncology care delivery as a nurse, nurse practitioner, or other healthcare provider. Clinical research experience strongly preferred, whether as a study coordinator or in an operational role at a CRO or pharma company
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Functional knowledge of patient pathways in oncology
• Functional knowledge of clinical research workflow and regulations.
• Ability to organize and analyze data to derive reasonable interpretations and conclusions
• Ability to quickly learn new software applications.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills, including ability to manage multiple deliverables across multiple projects.
• Excellent office productivity skills, especially with MS Word and Excel, as well as strong familiarity with clinical trials management software.
• Adaptability and flexibility.
• Ability to complete tasks independently, accurately, and within compressed timelines.
Day shift with standard working hours (8AM – 5 PM); corporate office and/or home office environment with regular computer and phone usage. Minimal travel expected (less than 5%) after initial training/onboarding.
This position may have direct reports depending on company growth and needs.